What to feed your guinea pigs

Hi guinea pig lovers, as the title suggests this post is all about what food you can feed your guinea pigs.

These are the websites where I found out what I can feed my guinea pigs and also what I can't , you should be able to click on them to take you to the website.
http://www.happycavy.com/what-can-guinea-pigs-eat/
http://jackiesguineapiggies.com/fruitandveg.html
http://www.onlineguineapigcare.com/category/guinea-pig-foods-2/ This website has a category block nearer the bottom of the page just to let you know.
Please comment if you know of any other websites and please tell me your guinea pigs favourite vegetables.

So as well as veg you need to give them special guinea pig pellets which will have extra vitamin C in because guinea pigs cannot produce it in their bodies. You shouldn't worry about giving them to much vitamin C because it will harmlessly pass through if they have to much.
You should make they always have some hay to nibble on throughout the day and night, for younger guinea pigs you can feed alfalfa pellets. Your guinea pigs will love being on the grass in sunny weather or you can pick some for them; never pick grass where dogs and cats have been.

You can also get dried forage which is basically dried leaves and plants. You can also get seed blocks for them to nibble on or you can get mineral and salt licks that attach to the side of their hutch or cage. You can get special treats but you should check the ingredients to make sure there are no artificial colours or flavours(you should always do this with all food items you get your guinea pigs).

With hard food I suggest burgess Excel guinea pig nuggets which are suitable for guinea pigs of all ages. Never give guinea pigs muesli type food because they will selective feed and won't get all the goodness from it.

With Hay I suggest timothy hay and meadow hay. I recently had problems with finding plastic wrappers in my hay so I'm going to change the type I get. In a different post I will tell you what type I swap to.

I hope you'll find this helpful,

Book Worm :)

Popular posts from this blog

Happy birthday Bramble bug!

Good guinea pig care books and websites

The best housing for outdoor and indoor guinea pigs and storage for guinea pig supplies/ Old opinion