My story with animals

Hi readers! I thought I would do my story with animals.

Hello, my name is Mo. I am 15 years old and I am CRAZY about all animals (except insects!)

I got my first pets when I was 6. They were 2 rabbits called Beaver and Buttons. They were mine and my big sisters Christmas present. Sadly, I was too young to take care of them properly and I got bored of them quickly, so my parents had to help look after them. Once I reached 8, I got more interested in taking care of them. This really made me want to work with animals.

When I was 10 Buttons (my rabbit) died. I was very sad and I feel disappointed that I don't have many memories of him. He died in September 2012

A while before Buttons died, I asked my parents for some pet fish, so when buttons died they let me get some. I got the tank as a Christmas present and then I got 5 fish. These were my first pet fish. I had 2 small fantail goldfish and 3 minnows. Sadly one of the goldfish didn't last long and died within a few months. Shortly afterwards the minnows also died. Luckily the other goldfish lasted 6 years and died January 2018.

In 2015 I asked my mum, if I looked after Beaver (the rabbit) for 3 months, could I get a guinea pig. My mum thought I wouldn't make the three months, so said yes....3 months later I had made it and I got my first guinea pig Patches. She was so small and scared when I bought her from pets at home. A fun fact is that I went in a week before, to see if I could reserve one (turned out you couldn't) but I knew I wanted a tort and white and they only had one - this was Patches.They let me hold her. When I went back in (she was a birthday present. I don't encourage pets as presents FYI) she was still there and it was the best present EVER! Patches was 10 weeks old.

I knew that guinea pigs shouldn't live lone, so me and my big sister, started asking my parents if we could get her a friend. They eventually said yes and this is when we got Bramble. Bramble is from a local pet shop and was 9 weeks old. She was so small she fit in my hand easily!

The next year, (I got all my piggies when I was 12!) I went to a local country park Easter event and a local guinea pig rescue had some guinea pigs for people to cuddle, that were also up for adoption. I saw a teddy guinea pig (he was neutered) that I fell in love with! I persuaded my parents I needed another guinea pig (the other 2 weren't getting along very well) and they said I could get him. Sadly, I was all set to adopt him, but when I messaged the rescue, he had to be put to sleep. I was heartbroken and set out to find another neutered male. There weren't any in my area. I looked in all the various local pet shops and then, just as I had decided to get a Netherland dwarf rabbit instead, my mum went down to the same pet shop we got Bramble from, and there was a little guinea pig for sale. This is my little Maisie Moo! She was 14 weeks old.
Unfortunately Bramble and Patches didn't like her. She currently still lives alone.

September 2016 I started my Youtube channel. It was called Guinea Pigs R Cute. (It is now called The Crazy Pet Channel.) The next month (October) Beaver sadly died aged 7 years. I was very sad (as was my whole family. She was our main pet for several months). It felt so weird not having a rabbit. I started looking for new rabbits. I mainly looked on Gumtree because ideally I wanted rescue rabbits that were already neutered. I found a pair of rabbits called Rocky and Flopsy who needed re-homing because their owners didn't have enough space to look after them properly. We went to see them and I knew they were perfect for us. We picked them up in November after building them a spacious enclosure. They were very shy (they still are). They were around 2 or 3 when we got them.

The latest addition to my furry family is my Labrador, Angel. My sister had been asking for a dog for many years and I had started asking as well. My parents eventually said we could have one and we decided a Labrador would be the best breed for our family, and she would be called Angel. We looked at her litter and she was just so cute and small and a lovely colour. She was only 4 weeks old when we first met her! We picked her up the day before she was 9 weeks old. She had been raised with her siblings in a stable. She was a nightmare to house train and was very bitey at first (she was teething). She is now 9 (almost 10) months old.

I also started doing a course on a farm just before I got Maisie. I am still going there, and I am doing a Level 1 in Land management. I have grown in confidence around many animals and around people as well. When I started I was scared of cows and chickens. I now love to cuddle the chickens and work with the cows.

This is my story with animals!

Mo :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Good guinea pig care books and websites

Happy birthday Bramble bug!

AMAZING NEWS FOR GUINEA PIG LOVERS!! GPAD