How to litter train your guinea pig

Hi Readers, as the title tells you this post is about how to litter train your guinea pig.

The first thing to do is decide what type of litter tray you want to use; I use cardboard boxes at the moment but I'm planning to get some small corner litter trays and some bigger corner litter trays. The first type of litter tray is a corner litter tray. These are great because they take up very little space and if your guinea pig goes to the toilet in corners like my guinea pigs this is the perfect type of litter tray for your guinea pigs.

The second type of litter tray is a cardboard boxes with either a dip cut into it or cut down around the sides to allow them to get in and out. The down side is that it will use up a lot of cardboard boxes.

The last two types of litter trays are quite similar so I've put them together because you will have to do similar things with them. These two types are a washing up bowl and a cat litter trays, with these two you will have to cut dips into them to allow your guinea pig to get in and out.

Once you've decided which type of litter tray to use (to begin with I would suggest using cardboard boxes just in case your guinea pig doesn't get the idea so you don't waste your money) the next important thing is to decide which type of litter to use.

I personally use snowflake wood shavings because they aren't to expensive for the amount you get and so far there has been no dust. As well as wood shavings,  I use kitchen roll under the wood shavings, to help the card board litter tray last longer. Sometimes I use newspaper instead of kitchen roll if I've run out but if you've got a white guinea pig and they tend to kick out the wood shavings your guinea pig will end up with ink all over their bodies resulting in a grey guinea pig.

First of all with the training, you need to put the litter tray in the corner they go to the toilet in most and sit with them, or leave them alone; personally I found they wouldn't use it if I was there but once I left them alone they actually used it or tipped it over and spilled the wood shavings over the floor!
hopefully once they are litter trained you won't have to clean them out so often.

I hope you found this helpful because I know that they will do a lot of poo every day,

Book Worm :)















Popular posts from this blog

Happy birthday Bramble bug!

Good guinea pig care books and websites

The best housing for outdoor and indoor guinea pigs and storage for guinea pig supplies/ Old opinion